Monday, May 16, 2016

Week 6 EOC: Three Things That Define Me


The three things that I own that define me would have to be my drum set, iPod, and my The Devil Wears Prada tattoo. I’ve been playing drums since I was about six or seven years old so they’ve been a pretty big part of my life. Ever since I got my first kit, playing drums or being around music is all I saw myself doing with my life. To this day, thirteen years and three drum kits later, I still have a passion for playing. I always wanted to be in a band and tour around the world (like most musicians) and still have hopes for that dream to come true. Playing drums is an outlet, a source of meditation, and a way of challenging myself and pushing myself one extra step every time I sit down and play. The next thing that would define me is my iPod. My iPod contains music of all sorts of genres. Anywhere from classic rock to indie/alternative to heavy metal. It is a collection of all the music I’ve listened while I was growing up to everything I’ve found in recent years of finding new bands and artists. Everywhere I go, my iPod goes. Ever since I got my first iPod back in the sixth grade, it has become an necessity. You never know when you’re gonna get stuck somewhere and have nothing to do but kick out the jams. The third thing that defines me is my Devil Wears Prada tattoo. The Devil Wears Prada is more of a heavy metal/metalcore band that my older brother showed me when I was in the fifth grade. My first reaction; I absolutely hated it. I had never listened to anything like them before and I was not a fan at all. I grew up listening to some pretty heavy rock like Saliva, Linkin Park, Breaking Benjamin, etc., but nothing quite like them. It took me a few listens after a couple months of hearing them the first time and it grew on me. The fast, heavy instrumentals, synth leads, and gnarly screaming vocals was just something I found awesome and adrenaline rushing. It made me just wanna rage in a crowd at a show or something, I loved it. After getting like them and know them better, they started becoming a daily listen, at least five to eight time a day. Come sixth grade, I went to my first concert ever with two of my best friends at the time. Just so happen to be that The Devil Wears Prada, Underoath, and Saosin (two other bands I heavily listened/still listen to). It was the most ideal first concert twelve year old me could ever ask for. Since then, TDWP have released five full lengths and two concept EP’s (all which are awesome), and I’ve seen them about eight or nine times, they have become my favorite band. I took a graduation trip to Europe after my senior year in high school and while touring Spain, some people wanted to get tattoos and piercings. I was all in and had wanted to get the TDWP logo as my first tattoo no matter what. And so I did and it shows my love for the band throughout their career and my dedication as fan to their music.

No comments:

Post a Comment